Kevin's Oven-BBQ Ribs

I love ribs and being unable to smoke them during the winter doesn't stop me from making them in the oven.  I rub them down with a rub that is based on one by Emeril Lagasse, but mine is a little milder - his were HOT.  These were a particular favorite of Pete's.

Here's the rub:

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbl salt
  • 1 Tbl cumin
  • 1 Tbl paprika
  • 2Tbl Emeril's Essence
  • 3 Tbl brown sugar
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne

I usually rub the ribs down the night before and let them sit in the fridge overnight.  If you have a lime, squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime over the ribs for some tanginess and to help break down the connective tissue.  Otherwise, I use a little wine vinegar, just a few splashes.

I cover them with foil and bake them at 300° for 2 1/2 hours, or until they begin to fall off the bone.  Then I take the foil off and brush with barbecue sauce, turn on the broiler and leave the ribs under the broiler until they begin to brown (usually 5 -10 minutes).

Comments