Brazilian Chicken Curry

My friend in Florida, Val, writes:
I know you are always looking for interesting things to do with chicken. Here's one I tried once and it's spicy but not hot. It calls for the crockpot - don't know if you cook with one. I assume you could simmer on the stovetop for an hour or two and get the same results. BTW: The sauce was a bit thin, so I'm still working on this one... also, curry scent is tricky to get off of hands - try lemon juice rinse, then soap & water.
- V.

Original source: Women's Day 2010

Ingredients
  • 3/4 Cup Coconut Milk (found in Asian food aisle. If you like a sweeter taste, I used "Crema de Coconut")
  • 2 TBS Tomato Paste
  • 1 TBS Minced Garlic (I use fresh)
  • 1 TBS Minced Ginger (I use pre-packaged jar)
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Fresh ground Pepper
  • 1 Medium Vidalia [or sweet] Onion; thinly sliced
    (Can't say this enough - get a mandolin for chores like this!)
  • 2 Medium Green Peppers; cut into 1 inch strips & halved crosswise
  • 3/4 Cup Yukon Gold [or yellow] Potatoes; cut into 1 inch pieces
    (I upped these to a full cup)
  • 1/4 tsp Curry Powder
    (more, if you like more spice)
  • 8 (2+ Lbs) Chicken drumsticks [or 4 leg quarters]; skin removed
    (I used a whole, cutup fryer, minus the wings and back pieces.)

Preparation
Mix coconut milk, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, salt & pepper in a slow cooker. Add onions, green peppers, and potatoes. Mix well until veggies are evenly coated.

Rub curry powder all over chicken. Place chicken on top of veggies in the slow cooker. (I found that simply sprinkling the small amount of curry over the chicken parts was sufficient.

Cover and cook on high 4- 5 hours/ low 6 - 8 hours, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.

PS - As I mentioned above, try and get a mandolin if you are serious about your cooking. My knife skills aren't perfect, and I have a lovely chunk off of my left forefinger to show for it. Ginsu knives are great, but they are hella sharp!!!

Comments